This recipe was originally posted as part of our SEC Tailgate Special. It has been reposted due to popular demand.
To truly appreciate this recipe you have to read about the history of the Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwich. This recipe was created and first served at the Brown Hotel in Kentucky.
These Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders are so good. Yummy turkey, buttered buns, fresh ripe tomato, cheese gravy (yes, I said CHEESE GRAVY), and bacon.
Ingredients:For the White Cheddar Gravy
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce white cheddar shredded
For the Sliders
- 12 slider buns
- 16 ounces sliced turkey
- 3 tomatoes sliced
- 12 slices bacon cooked
- 4 tablespoons butter plus additional for serving if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt 1 TB of butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook until smooth and bubbly. Stir constantly. Slowly add the milk, whisking until smooth. Stir in a pinch each of black pepper, nutmeg, and paprika. Heat to a low boil, stirring frequently until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese. Stir until melted. Set the White Cheddar Gravy aside.
- Melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave. (Heat in 5 to 10 second increments until completely melted. Stir in 1/4 tsp of nutmeg and 1/4 tsp of paprika.
- Place the bottom half of slider buns in a baking dish. Brush the buns with half of the butter mixture.
- Place a layer of turkey on the buns, then a slice of tomato. Top the tomato with about 2 tablespoons of the cheese gravy. Break each bacon slice in half, and criss cross over the gravy. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of white cheddar over the bacon, then top with the top half of the slider buns.
- Brush the remaining butter and spice mixture on top of the buns, then place in the oven uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the tops are golden brown.
- Top with additional butter (optional), and serve with the remaining White Cheddar Gravy.
- This Kentucky Hot Brown Slider recipe is perfect for breakfast, too!